Saturday 25 August 2018

The joys of being your own Boss!

No matter how long I have been doing this I still wake in the middle of the night thinking about work. Ideas, I have always had too many and don't know which one to start first. This is why working for clients really suits me, as when I'm designing a bespoke item  you ultimately are working to fit the exact brief of the client and so I don't get side tracked. However I always have more ideas and not enough hours to fulfil them all. Deadlines keep my mind on focus.


When you are your own boss you have to hope that your present customers are so happy with your work that they in turn tell their friends and you eventually get further work. Social media is another way of spreading the news but the best way is for people to contact me so that we understand and work out what is best. 

As your own boss you have to be good at everything. Winning and satisfing customers, marketing and selling, designing and making, finishing and photographing, after this comes paperwork and book keeping, dressing the window and networking; never a switch off. 


Ideas and inspiration is the easy part. I remember a lady telling when I was doing my degree ' enjoy every second you can now experimenting as once you start earning your keep you won't have time to play!' So true once you go into work you need to do your paying work before the playing. 


It's the drive to get playing that pushes me to work more hours. Research and development is essential to keep up to date. 


Always put your best foot forward! 

No comments:

Post a Comment