Friday 29 April 2011

The importance is in the detail.




Once you see the veil I have embroidered for my bride for the 30th of April hopefully you will understand why I would have loved to have had the opportunity to do Kate's veil. For safely reasons I would have done two!! I would have loved to have suggested some Irish shamrocks, Welsh daffodils, Scottish thistles and of course English roses. I was commissioned by our then Secretary of State, Peter Brooke, to do an embroidery piece in mermory of Sir Ian Gaw. This I did and got to take it to Stormont one day.
Maybe I missed my chance when Princess Dianna visited the University of Ulster Art and Design Centre and I was meant to met her and show her my work . Then I might of had a chance that someone would have remembered my embroidery at this time. I just hope that when we eventually hear about the details of the embroidery that it tells a story.
The overall notion of the wedding is very femine and pretty, much as I would have expected of Kate's taste. She has had a big part in the design. The neckline was the same "V" as her dress for her engagement photos. The lace sleeves and deatil on the dress where exactly as I had predicted. The similarity with Sarah Ferguson's dress which was such a sucess has had an influence on her I think. The flowergirls dresses where very traditional and the pageboys reflected Williams military ties.The uniform draws its insignia from the Irish Guards, whose Colonel is Prince William.
Yet I expected Sarah Burton would have taken it up one notch more. I long to hear that there is something unique and one off. I hear that Kate had Pippa's dress lining embroidered with the date. I wanted more detail seen. Fergie's dress had the personal touches embroidered into it for all to see. I think Kate has got everything perfect and loves detail, I just wanted more detail, lace is lace, I wanted the embroidery to tell a story. When someone says to a bride they love your dress I want the bride to say will we did this because.

No comments:

Post a Comment