Thursday 12 November 2009


I saw an advert in the local paper for an exhibition up at Queens in the Naughton Gallery. It was by Michael Brennand-Wood, the man that probably 28 years ago made me realise how exciting embroidery could be. This guy is a true fine artist that uses embroidery as his medium. Look him up on his website to learn more about his work. He definitely inspired me to do embroidery as I felt it was such a versatile medium. Forget thie idea of embroidered table clothes this guy did massive pieces of work on wooden frames, something origina.This latest exhibition was called "Pretty Deadly". It was poignant that it was Remembrance Sunday that I saw it as there was quite alot of reference to dead soldiers. It was exploring the symbolism of flowers, it was colourful, imposing and strong. Look him up and see his work. Embroidery is anything you do with a needle and thread.

No comments:

Post a Comment